This guide is basically intended for beginners and for those who are just planning to brew beer at home. The simplification of this procedure is made possible by the availability of pre-processed ingredients in the market like malt extract which basically lifted the meticulous process of mashing malt. Here is the simple and easy to follow steps of brewing beer.
First things first, we have to prepare all the things we will need for brewing beer. For the ingredients that would make a 5 galloon of beer, we will need one can of malt extract (pre-hopped), one kilo of fine sugar (preferable the one that is known as dextrose or corn sugar), one sachet of yeast and water (tap water will do but if it doesn’t taste good you may opt for filtered water). For the brewing materials, we will need a pot (can hold one galloon), a spatula or ladle, a 5 galloon fermentation pail, an airlock, a funnel, a big spoon with long handle, and a thermometer. All of these things are actually available in stores which supply ingredients for home brewing.
After preparing those mentions above, we are now ready for the steps.
- Boil one galloon of water in the pot.
- When boiling, pour the one can of malt extract. The malt extract is a thick and condense syrup, so while pouring it on the boiling water, you must also simultaneously stirs it, so as to mix it well and prevent the extract from reaching the bottom of the pot and get burned.[you can also refer to the instructions labeled on the can]
- Let it boil for 5-10 minutes then take it off from the stove, dip the pot in a cooled water to cool the mixture faster. On this stage the mixture you just made is called wort (pronounced as wert)
- While cooling the wort, sterilized (either, by pouring boiled water or using sanitizer) the fermentation pail, airlock, spoon and thermometer. This process is very crucial, coz fermentation process is susceptible to bacteria and other organisms that may eventually contaminate and affect the quality of the beer.
- Pour the wort into the fermentation pail. Then slowly add cooled and lukewarm water until you can make 5 galloons. While doing that, make it sure that the temperature is maintain between 21-27 degree Celsius. So by dipping the thermometer, you could check the temperature which will help you determine whether you will add cooled or lukewarm water.
- After making 5 galloons and securing the temperature, pour the sachet of yeast. The yeast is the one responsible for fermentation. [for further information and instruction regarding the yeast you may also refer to the labels on the packaging]
- Cover the pail, place airlock in the hole of the cover of the pail. Fill this thing with half full of water and snap its cover on top. The airlock is a one way valve that releases the carbon dioxide produced during fermentation but prevents any air from entering the pail.
- Store the pail in a room or a stable space. Maintain the temperature and allow it to be fermented within 7 -10 days.
- After that, your beer is ready for bottling. You may set aside it for another week if you want to mature or carbonate. Nevertheless, your beer is ready for consumption.
This is how beers are made, as simple as this. After perfecting this basic guide, you can now explore more on brewing beer. Eventually you could come up with your own modifications which is complicated than this. Nonetheless, you will need this basic guide.